Wednesday, October 14, 2009

2 Minutes til take off

The last few days of training have been pretty good. Saturday I went out for my long run, planning to go for 12. After getting home and mapping out my run with Mapmyrun I realized my long run wasn’t as long as it was intended to be - 12 miles magically turned into to 10. Originally this was a huge let down, but I was really happy with how I felt following the run. Knees had no pain and even my toe wasn’t in very much pain. Since I have upped the mileage and I think this (triathlon/being active) is something I’m going to stick with for a while, I am considering investing in the new Garmin Forerunner. I really don’t want to shortchange myself on anymore runs - real-time distances could helpful, what do you think?

Monday I went for a swim and it was extremely boring. Did I say it was extremely boring, oh because it was extremely boring. I am determined on swimming one to two days a week so I don’t have to start from scratch when I join a masters team in January. I heard a good quote this week that I hope will help me to get to the pool “there are no reasons for not doing it, just excuses”. This week wasn’t as bad as last week though, I did have a preprinted workout to follow and not just the idea of going for a swim. There really isn’t much else to say about the swimming besides I hope I enjoy it more when it picks back up.

Then there is the glorious Tuesdays. TNR is by far my favorite thing to do training wise. After steadily posting better times on the TNR runs, I set the goal of breaking an hour on the 7.05 mile run. The previous 2 weeks I’ve run it at 1:07, 1:03, and this week I came up short at 1:02. While not satisfied I didn’t reach my goal, it is extremely satisfying to be making improvements. I’m going to break that hour, might not be this week, maybe not the next, but it’s going down. This course is a technical course, with the first 5 miles being hilly and the last two being pretty flat. Having that forerunner would come in handy here too, for pacing (I’m seriously trying to talk myself into buying that watch).

Going to Auburn this weekend for a football game, so I’m pushing up my long run to Thursday. Not doing anything Wednesday is probably the hardest thing i've done this week, but I know I wouldn't make it through my run Thursday with out sitting Wednesday out. The plan for Thursday is to run 15 miles around Stone Mountain with a club-mate. Being that riding around Stone Mountain is a task, running it should be really interesting. Hopefully I survive to write about it. The Journey continues.

2 comments: