Thursday, October 29, 2009

another week ... another pain

So Tuesday I decided I was going to change things up a little bit. Instead going to Pilates on the lunch break I would play some basketball. I walk by the court every day going to and from Pilates and the games aren’t too intense, girls and guys play, and everyday I think “next week maybe”. Well, after talking to one of the regulars at the Gym Friday (I don’t know his name, I seriously have no people skills) after Yoga, I decided Tuesday would be the day. So Tuesday comes around and I come out ready to play, of course I get picked up; Just like people assume I’m a great runner just from seeing me, they also assume I’m a great basketball player (thankfully I have my fathers “Ned Flanders” genes). Being a lottery pick, of course I’m placed on the most athletic person on the other team, though I shouldn’t be, but I held my own until the last point. Playing basketball in running shoes wasn’t the best idea especially for someone who doesn’t move well laterally (or vertically but I’m getting better at that) like myself, and right before the last point I turn my ankle. Having just lost, and knowing sitting still would just accelerate the swelling, I jumped on the treadmill and ran a couple miles before showering and returning to Cubicleville.

After returning to my cubicle entoxicated from the endorphins of my short jaunt I was set on running Tuesday night in the inclement weather (the weather actually turned out not bad at all). This would be my first time running multiple times a day, or without a day of rest in between and I was excited. There is only one problem with everything up to this point, and that’s that I didn’t stretch after the treadmill and I paid for it that night. About 4 miles into my 6.6 mile run I couldn’t lift my left leg. My hip was completely stiff and forced me to walk. This is hilarious because in the previous post I focused on not having to walk in a while on my runs. In hilarious pain I had to walk/run the last 2+ miles. While struggling home I was even passed by three Get-Fit women who announced as they passed “you gonna let us pass you”, gave them a gracious “nobody is letting you do anything, have a good run” in reply (not what I was really thinking at all). In good spirits, I finished (still did a half assed stretching routine after the run).

While excited I ran without a days rest in between, I didn’t really get to celebrate because it didn’t end well. Tuesday’s moral of story for me is to stretch even when I don’t think I need it. Sitting at home on Wednesday, and probably will be Thursday too, without being able to do anything is not exactly what I want. It’s a lot easier to look at the pile of laundry that needs to be done and step over it when you’re working out, not when you’re laying in bed feeling like an Octogenarian. Going to try Pilates on lunch Thursday and hope everything responds well. Really don’t want my long run cut short on Saturday.

On a side note I really want to work on my run mechanics. When I run past the fancy steak house on our route I can see my reflection, and it doesn’t say “runner”, says something like “this guy is hurting”. I’m not sure how I’m going to do this yet, but it’s definitely something I would like to focus on in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment