Thursday, January 28, 2010

un-Break My Heart

So I've been going to First Choice Healthcare for two weeks and I can't say enough positive things about the place. Dr. Nik's listening abilities may be as great as his Graston Technique skills. After battling with problems for the last 5 years and reaching a point where I thought it was just something I had to deal with, it's awesome to see results so soon. In just a week I shaved 8 minutes off of my TNR 7.2 mile time. That is a pretty sizeable amount in a very short period of time. Not only has the doctor been working on my left knee, the cause of the right hip problems, he also has me doing exercises that are teaching me to engage my core. When I finally figure out how to get everything working together it's going to be pretty amazing.

So far this week my work out has looked like this
  • Monday- Swim(I think it was 6 or 700 the pool is really short) and Yoga
  • Tuesday- Pilates and 7.2 mile run
  • Wednesday- Swim (900m) Graston Technique (not a exercise but it hurts worst than all the others
  • Thursday- Pilates and treadmill intervals
(yoga and pilates are always on my lunch break)

With freezing rain in the forecast for Atlanta on Saturday, I pushed my long run back to Sunday and prepared to go out on a Friday night. Since I haven't able to hang out with my college friends in a while, I took the drive down the road to Auburn to hang out and crossed a major milestone in the life of me and The Green Machine. 200k miles, now that is a lot of living. While the plan was adult beverages and good times once I got to Auburn, my body decided something else. All Friday evening my chest was tight and I wasn't really able to breath deeply though I thought it was just sinus congestion. I truly was hoping some Whiskey would knock it out but the whiskey and I failed at that one. Well it only got worst and Saturday I woke up feeling like I couldn't breathe and some sharp chest pains so I reluctantly went to the hospital. Well long story short they thought I had a heart attack. Yes, scared the shit out of me too. The EKG machine was full of shit. So then I spend the entire day in the ER getting the full work up of blood work, cardio sonograms ... everything. It's funny while the nurse is drawing blood she breaks in to friend mode with her "so do you do steriods?" huh ... this is the guy who just started drinking beer in 2008, really makes me laugh. I'm 6'2 190 lbs and pretty lean maybe I don't know how steriods work. I guess it's flattering. "No bff I definitely don't do steriods, hell I rarely do caffeine." So the bloodwork comes back to show I didn't have a heart attack, nor had any drugs in my system (Drug Free class of 2000 here, thanks Nancy Reagan.) Doctor told me to take a few days off. I sadly do have to follow up with a Cardiologist when I get back to Atlanta, I hate going to the doctor, in fact I hate it so much I don't even have a primary care physician. So now I need to find a primary care doctor and a Cardiologist. What sucks is now every time I think i feel something in my chest, it's going to go back this. I don't want to be a self diagnosing fool.

The ING Marathon is looking more and more like a half marathon now.

I leave you with quite possibly the best super bowl pray for victory dance on this side of the Mississippi. Blue Jay and the Russell Experience

1 comment: